Re: nanosleep over multiple processes

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Randi Botse <nightdecoder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Nicholas,
>
> So sorry, I was mean clock_gettime() not nanosleep(), my bad. The
> unique ID must be different in all proces, so no duplicated ID in
> entire process.
>
> And here the ID should be generated:
>
> struct timespec ts;
> clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &ts);
> unsigned long uid = ts.tv_sec + ts.tv_nsec;
>
> Does your reply also covering this?

Yes it does.
The one thing you need to remember, is that we today have multicore
CPUs on desktops, and in the data center, multiple CPUs (each with
multi-cores) not to mention distributed systems too. Thus, in your
single core setup, the possibility *should* be 0, however, in an multi
core/cpu and/or distributed setup, the possibilities increases. It is
a BadIdea(TM) to make use of time for uniqueness! period.

A much better method would be to read from /dev/random (If you could
block) or /dev/urandom(less guaranteed to be "random", but "faster"
and non-blocking) to get some "real" extra randomness