Re: time system call expensive?

Great!! thanks for the tar.

I'm not sure if we can time() sys call is quite expensive all time.

Simple code I tried

#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

int main()
{
    int i,k = 0;
    time_t t,j;
    for(i =0 ; i < 100; i++)
    {
        usleep(100);
        //t = time(NULL);
        k++;
        //j = time(NULL);
    }
}

Time without the time() calls.

time ./time_performance

real	0m2.091s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.001s

output with time calls.

time ./time_performance

real	0m2.007s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.001s

Almost same.

timing k++ is not the righ thing but the point is, time as such is not
so expensive IMHO. I did notice considerable difference when I loop to
a 100000 times without the usleep().

just k++ in the loop.
time ./time_performance

real	0m0.003s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.003s

with time() sys call before and after k++ in the loop.
time ./time_performance

real	0m0.168s
user	0m0.026s
sys	0m0.139s