Re: code to list contents of zip files

Thanks Glynn.
I tried to rectify the flaw and now I am getting the whole file contents from the zip file, ie., it is outputting the contents of the file stored in the zipfile. But Actually, I wanted only to list the content of the zip file as zipinfo does.

Regards
Prasanta
Glynn Clements wrote:
Prasanta Sadhukhan wrote:

I have tried to create a ziptest code with the information found but when I tried to inflate the contents by calling inflate() [line68], I am getting Z_DATA_ERROR citing input data is corrupted or not conforming to zlib format but I can do zipinfo or unzip on the attached ziptest.zip file successfully (and also the zip header is found to be valid by the header validity check done in the program) Can anyone point me as to what should I being more to get rid of this problem?

I've found 3 flaws:

1. You're not skipping over the variable-length fields (file name and
extra field) at the end of the header; add:

	fseek(file, SH(&h[LOCFIL]), SEEK_CUR);
	fseek(file, SH(&h[LOCEXT]), SEEK_CUR);

after reading the header but before calling inf().

2. You're trying to inflate() everything up to end-of-file, when you
should be using the compressed length from the header (LOCSIZ) to
determine how much compressed data is available (even with only one
file, the central directory occurs at the end of the file).

3. This one wasn't obvious until I looked at the unzip source code. You need to call inflateInit2(&strm, -15) rather than inflateInit(),
in order to have it process "raw" data. zlib.h says:

     windowBits can also be -8..-15 for raw inflate. In this case, -windowBits
   determines the window size. inflate() will then process raw deflate data,
   not looking for a zlib or gzip header, not generating a check value, and not
   looking for any check values for comparison at the end of the stream. This
   is for use with other formats that use the deflate compressed data format
   such as zip. ...

IOW, inflateInit() expects the data to be "wrapped" with a zlib or
gzip header and trailer, but ZIP files don't have these.

After fixing the above issues, I get C source code on stdout.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <malloc.h>
#include <zlib.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <assert.h>

#define CHUNK 16384

/* PKZIP header definitions */
#define ZIPMAG 0x4b50           /* two-byte zip lead-in */
#define LOCREM 0x0403           /* remaining two bytes in zip signature */
#define LOCSIG 0x04034b50L      /* full signature */
#define LOCFLG 4                /* offset of bit flag */
#define  CRPFLG 1               /*  bit for encrypted entry */
#define  EXTFLG 8               /*  bit for extended local header */
#define LOCHOW 6                /* offset of compression method */
#define LOCTIM 8                /* file mod time (for decryption) */
#define LOCCRC 12               /* offset of crc */
#define LOCSIZ 16               /* offset of compressed size */
#define LOCLEN 20               /* offset of uncompressed length */
#define LOCFIL 24               /* offset of file name field length */
#define LOCEXT 26               /* offset of extra field length */
#define LOCHDR 28               /* size of local header, including LOCREM */
#define EXTHDR 16               /* size of extended local header, inc sig */

#define SH(p) ((unsigned short)(unsigned char)((p)[0]) | ((unsigned short)(unsigned char)((p)[1]) << 8))

int inf(FILE *source, FILE *dest)
{
    int ret;
    unsigned have;
    z_stream strm;
    unsigned char in[CHUNK];
    unsigned char out[CHUNK];
	unsigned char dict;

    /* allocate inflate state */
    strm.zalloc = Z_NULL;
    strm.zfree = Z_NULL;
    strm.opaque = Z_NULL;
    strm.avail_in = 0;
    strm.next_in = Z_NULL;
    ret = inflateInit2(&strm, -15);
    if (ret != Z_OK) {
		printf("inflateInit failed\n");
        return ret;
	}

		printf("inflateInit succeeded\n");
    /* decompress until deflate stream ends or end of file */
    do {
        strm.avail_in = fread(in, 1, CHUNK, source);
        if (ferror(source)) {
			printf("fread failed\n");
            (void)inflateEnd(&strm);
            return Z_ERRNO;
        }
		printf("fread succeeded\n");
        if (strm.avail_in == 0)
            break;
        strm.next_in = in;

        /* run inflate() on input until output buffer not full */
        do {
            strm.avail_out = CHUNK;
            strm.next_out = out;
            ret = inflate(&strm, Z_NO_FLUSH);
            assert(ret != Z_STREAM_ERROR);  /* state not clobbered */
            switch (ret) {
            case Z_NEED_DICT:
		printf("inflate returned Z_NEED_DICT\n");
                ret = Z_DATA_ERROR;     /* and fall through */
            case Z_DATA_ERROR:
		printf("inflate returned Z_DATA_ERROR\n");
            case Z_MEM_ERROR:
		printf("inflate returned Z_MEM_ERROR\n");
                (void)inflateEnd(&strm);
                return ret;
            }
		printf("inflate succeeded\n");
            have = CHUNK - strm.avail_out;
            if (fwrite(out, 1, have, dest) != have || ferror(dest)) {
		printf("fwrite failed\n");
                (void)inflateEnd(&strm);
                return Z_ERRNO;
            }
        } while (strm.avail_out == 0);

        /* done when inflate() says it's done */
    } while (ret != Z_STREAM_END);

    /* clean up and return */
    (void)inflateEnd(&strm);
    return ret == Z_STREAM_END ? Z_OK : Z_DATA_ERROR;
}

/* report a zlib or i/o error */
void zerr(int ret)
{
    fputs("ziptest: ", stderr);
    switch (ret) {
    case Z_ERRNO:
        if (ferror(stdin))
            fputs("error reading stdin\n", stderr);
        if (ferror(stdout))
            fputs("error writing stdout\n", stderr);
        break;
    case Z_STREAM_ERROR:
        fputs("invalid compression level\n", stderr);
        break;
    case Z_DATA_ERROR:
        fputs("invalid or incomplete deflate data\n", stderr);
        break;
    case Z_MEM_ERROR:
        fputs("out of memory\n", stderr);
        break;
    case Z_VERSION_ERROR:
        fputs("zlib version mismatch!\n", stderr);
    }
}

int main(char *argc, char **argv)
{
	char str[] = "./ziptest.zip";
	char *substr = strcasestr(str, ".zip");
	char *loc;
	int errnum;
	unsigned short n;
	unsigned char h[LOCHDR];
	int ret;

	if (substr == NULL) {
		printf("zip not found\n");
		substr = strcasestr(substr, ".jar");
		if (substr == NULL)
			printf("jar not found\n");
		else
			printf("jar found at location: %s\n",substr);
		return;
	}
	else
		printf("zip found at location: %s\n",substr);
	loc = (char*)malloc(substr-str+4);
	strncpy(loc, str, substr-str+4);
	printf("zip path = %s\n",loc);
	errno = 0;
	FILE* file = fopen(loc, "r");
	if (file == (FILE*)NULL)
		printf("cannot open zipfile. errno %d\n",errno);
	else
		printf("file %p\n", file);

	n = getc(file);
	n |= getc(file) << 8;
	printf("getc returns n = 0x%x, errno %d\n", n, errno);
	if (n == ZIPMAG)
	{
		if (fread((char *)h, 1, LOCHDR, file) != LOCHDR || SH(h) != LOCREM) {
			printf("invalid zipfile");
		}
	} else
		printf("input not a zip file\n");