Re: memory address represented as a string

Hi Saurabh,

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Saurabh Sehgal <saurabh.r.s@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had a quick question:
>
> Let's say I design a function with the signature:
>
> void * foo( char * addr ) ; ,
>
> where addr is a string that represents a valid memory address  ...
> so the way someone can call this function is ...
>
> char * addr = "0xae456778" // assume this is a valid memory address on
> the machine

This means that addr points to a memory location where the string
stored is "0xae456778"

> foo( addr ) ;
>
> Is it possible to take this address in string form, and assign it to
> an actual pointer of void * type ?

Yes, you can parse each individual character of the hex-format string
and convert it to its integral equivalent (you can find many samples
of this on internet...) and assing this value to a void * and then
return it back..

Hope that helps..