Re: Assembly in LInux

--- On Tue, 1/27/09, Jai Sharma <jai.unix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> With all of your help and my motivation, I am to do
> application
> programming in Linux using C.
> I made some local intranet applications for my company
> using CURL,
> MySQL, Pipe, and gnuplot.
>
> But now I want to do some system programming under Linux.
> For that
> purpose I need to study
> Assembly Language.
>
> I am studying two books to make programs using Assembly
> Language:
>
> 1. Assembly Language Step-by-Step: Programming with DOS and
> Linux,
> Second Edition
> 2. Art of Assembly
>
> I need your help to understand Assembly Language for Linux.
> If you guys have some links or documentation.
> Then please share with me. I am great thankful to you.

1) About Inline Assembly for x86 in Linux
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-ia.html?dwzone=linux

2) Syntax issues: Intel vs. AT&T
http://asm.sourceforge.net//articles/linasm.html
http://www.imada.sdu.dk/~kslarsen/dm18/Litteratur/IntelnATT.htm

3) Links, articles, docs...
http://asm.sourceforge.net/resources.html#docs

4) If you like see assembly generated by GCC use "--save-temps" option.
In this case the assembly output will be different from first aproach by "humam" asm code, a lot of optimization and heavy use of stack, but it's interessing take a look.

#gcc --save-temps foo.c -o foo
#vi foo.s

Best regards,

--