Re: How to name the pthread or Renaming?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 6:56 AM, ziaudeen <Ziaudeen.Abdulrazak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi Bert,
>  As the pthread_create or any other pthread functionality API is not
> available to set a name to the thread, so I have tried with the prctl() with
> PR_SET_NAME. I am able to set the name for the thread.successfully, since it
> is considered as LWP(light weight process), it is individually setting the
> name for the thread. I have checked this by using prctl() -PR_GET_NAME
> getting the name back from each thread and print it, I will be able to see
> the individual thread name, what I have change it. So now the problem is I
> am unable to see the LWP process name through PS command, even though the
> name is present for each thread. So I would like to know whether any other
> command present to see the pthread names.
Ok, I was wrong, the name you can set with prctl is indeed a
per-thread attribute. you can see this either in the stat file from
the /proc filesystem (inside parentheses) or with ps and the comm
format, not the args format, and the same with top, where you switch
this with 'c'.

Bert