Re: Serialization in C

On Dec 5, 2007 8:18 PM, Brian McQueen <mcqueenorama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Check out the xdr stuff from Sun's RPC stuff too.

XDR comes to mind first, but it can be very tedious, since you
sometimes have be carefully select between the xdr_reference and
xdr_pointer primitives due to the fact that one operates on
XDR-translated data while the other does not.

Additionally, the developer should get intimately familiar with XDR
first to make use of it because the data structures must be described
properly and many self-written subroutines are needed to facilitate
XDR.  TPL is very intuitive to use and also supports converting the
data to XML back and forth.

Unless you do not need to transfer data between architectures, TPL
wins over XDR.  If native binary representation is not an option XDR
is the way to go.

        \Steve

PS: Please, do not top-post.  Thanks.

-