Re: kernel provided system call is an API?

On 10/27/07, Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > System calls aren't strictly an *application* programming interface.
> > > Applications are supposed to use the libc functions.
> >
> > OK so is it at least a "programming interface"?
>
> Yes, although it's intended to be used solely by libc.

I think the "more correct"(TM) explanation would be that:

 Each hardware architecture, and OS, will have different methods of
invoking the actual system call. So from memory Linux and FreeBSD uses
different methods to initiate a syscall. Althought
the man read(2) "api" from the libc "user"'s perspective are all the
same (specified by POSIX etc.) the nitty gritty of getting into the
kernel differs.

--
Hendrik Visage
-