Creating a routing program - the basics

Hello, I'm currently on university, and for my graduation paper, I'll be
implementing a routing algorythm, by hand, in C.
The routing algorythm itself is not easy, but one of the starting parts
of it, is to find a way of discovering the MAC that it is currently
connected to, maybe is bether if I draw, since I'm not really that good
in english:

[PC with n NICs]-----(n cables)---->[n PCs]

I have full control of the first PC, of course, since is the one I'm
implementing the router, so I do know the MAC of it, but how to discover
the MAC on the other end of the n lines, so I can start sending packets?
Anyone could help me impĺementing this exact thing? I think I got the
theory right, but I have no clue how to start programing.

Thanks a lot.

Mateus

-