Re: unable to link to a static library present alongside a shared library

Thanks for your continuing patience.

Glynn Clements wrote:

Another significant difference is that Windows executables and DLLs
associate any unresolved symbols with the DLL from which they are
meant to be loaded. OTOH, the Linux loader doesn't care where a symbol
comes from, so long as something defines it.

And what would be the implications of that? I mean, what happens practically because of that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_(computing)#Dynamic_linking and

Windows (and maybe other systems) allows numeric references to symbols
in an external DLL. The executable or DLL can refer to e.g. symbol #7
in foo.dll rather than to the name of the function.

I edited the page accordingly. I hope it is correct what I have written.

The article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_Library further confuses

The article also says "... or at runtime by the linker or linking loader". I think the word "respectively" should be added after "loader", but still I don't understand how refs to symbols provided by a static lib can be resolved at runtime.

I edited this page also to be clearer. Again I hope it is correct.

I again sincerely thank you for your continuing patience and support,

Shriramana Sharma.
-