Re: tracking shared dirty pages in a mmap file

Kandan Venkataraman wrote:

> I want to track any pages that have been written to a mmap file using a
> segv handler.
>
> I have given an example program below to illustrate my idea.
>
> What I want to know is whether the modifications to the mmap file will
> be guaranteed to be unaffected by the interruption of the signal
> handler, i.e. would the resultant changes in the mmap file be as if the
> mmap file had write access set.

It seems to work this way on Linux, but that behaviour isn't dictated
by any standard. In particular, Unix98 says:

	The behavior of a process is undefined after it returns
	normally from a signal-catching function for a SIGBUS, SIGFPE,
	SIGILL, or SIGSEGV signal that was not generated by kill(),
	sigqueue(), or raise().

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-