Re: Where to find definition for __FUNCTION__ macro

Shriek wrote:

> Alright, I might just as well present my problem here... I am trying
> to debug some call back handlers which are actualy registered as
> function pointers at boot time for a router, now lets say there is  a
> central notification framework and looking at the msg-type it calls a
> specific handler, so there is some statement like
>
>                ev_msg_handlers[msg->rtsm_type].
> So I was thinking if I could get the internals of the __FUNCTION__
> macro and if my assumption that it looks it up in system map then I
> could possibly attempt to modify it so as to accept the handler
> address and return the function name it is entering ... what say ???

__FUNCTION__ won't help you here.

You need to be able to read either the executable's symbol table (for
a dynamically-linked executable) or its debug information (for an
executable with debug info). For a statically-linked executable with
no debug info, it's impossible; the function's names simply don't
exist anywhere at run-time.

I'd suggest looking at the source code for "nm" for details on reading
symbol information.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-