Re: [LSF/MM/BFP ATTEND] [LSF/MM/BFP TOPIC] Storage: add blktrace extension support

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 06:16:29AM +0000, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
> * Current state of the work:-
>
> RFC implementations [3] has been posted with the addition of new IOCTLs
> which is far from the production so that it can provide a basis to get
> the discussion started.
>
> This RFC implementation provides:-
> 1. Extended bits to track new trace categories.
> 2. Support for tracing per trace priorities.
> 3. Support for priority mask.
> 4. New IOCTLs so that user-space tools can setup the extensions.
> 5. Ability to track the integrity fields.
> 6. blktrace and blkparse implementation which supports the above
>     mentioned features.
>
> Bart and Martin has suggested changes which I've incorporated in the RFC
> revisions.
>
> * What we will discuss in the proposed session ?
>
> I'd like to propose a session for Storage track to go over the following
> discussion points:-
>
> 1. What is the right approach to move this work forward?
> 2. What are the other information bits we need to add which will help
>     kernel community to speed up the development and improve tracing?
> 3. What are the other tracepoints we need to add in the block layer
>     to improve the tracing?
> 4. What are device driver callbacks tracing we can add in the block
>     layer?

I would like seeing driver/protocol specific tracepoint decoding for
users common under a single blkparse utility. For nvme, it'd be great if
we could set a fixed ABI, as people keep changing it by burdening the
kernel with making events more human readable. I'd prefer to simplify
the driver's tracepoints and do the decoding from userspace so that it's
forward compatible.

> 5. Since polling is becoming popular what are the new tracepoints
>     we need to improve debugging ?

Regarding polling, but not tracepoint related, but it'd be nice if
we had a new cpu state for this. Right now it just looks like all CPU
utilization from systat says 'system', which isn't really helpful with
analyzing how the hardware is doing.

[Index of Archives]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]