Re: blkparse unplug question

Strictly speaking there is no separate plug queue. There is a just
single request queue per device, but from time to time block layer
plugs the queue, i.e. no requests from the queue are dispatched to the
driver. This is done to accumulate more than one request in the queue
and then schedule several requests in a batch efficiently. Unplug
trace event is generated when queue is unplugged, i.e., all of the
requests are allowed to be dispatched to the driver again. The number
of requests that entered the block layer while it was plugged is the
last number in an unplug trace record.

CFQ is a non-work-conserving I/O scheduler, i.e. it allows block
device to idle even when there are requests pending. While idling it
plugs the queue and slice_idle parameter specifies the maximum time
CFQ can idle if there are pending requests. When slice_idle is set to
0, idling is effectively off, and CFQ never plugs the queue. So, even
if there is a single requests in the queue, the queue will be
unplugged immediately - this is what you observe, I guess.

HTH,
Vasily