Re: blktrace & btrace usability

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Fri, Jan 18 2008, Linda Walsh wrote:
I was examining the SuSE10.3 boot process and noted
it is setup to start & stop blktrace while the system
is booting.  Odd think is that it checks to verify that
the root file system is of type "ext3".
Is that a "SuSEism" or is there some reason why it wouldn't
work with any file system?

Interesting, I never noticed that before. Don't know why they check for
ext3, perhaps their post processing tools map blocks to files and only
works for ext3?
--- Would be nice if they left a comment to that effect.
   ext2 should be the same, and I think xfs has all the
data needed to process it under a perl script -- xfs_bmap,
for example, prints off all of the blocks used by a file (so
it's easy to compute fragmentation).

   They don't seem to include a util in the blktrace package
to map blocks to to files.  Anyway, you answer my question --
blktracing doesn't rely on something ext3 specific.

thanks,
linda
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-btrace" in

[Index of Archives]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]