[newbie] How does automatic reconnection work

Many Bluetooth devices seem to have some kind of "reconnect behavior". For instance
an audio speaker reconnects automatically to a phone as soon as they are within an
appropriate distance.

On the web, there are also many instructions how to troubleshoot problems related to
"automatic reconnect" ([1], [2], [3]).

How is this feature actually implemented? What do I have to consider if I want to
automatically reconnect my product with the customers phone?

In my concrete case, I create a BNEP connection from my product to the customers phone
(which acts as a NAP, Bluetooth Tethering has to be enabled on the phone). I would like
to automatically reestablish the network connection as soon as the phone is within an
appropriate range.

regards
Christian

[1] https://techwiser.com/fix-bluetooth-device-doesnt-auto-connect-in-linux/