Unable to re-pair to previously paired device without restarting bluetoothd

I've been having an issue with BlueZ 5.55 and I can't find any information online about this particular issue.

Often, if I remove and then re-pair with a phone, the new pairing does not succeed. This does not happen
every time but it is not a rare issue. I have not seen it happen on a first pairing after many attempts.

My test devices for this issue are a relatively modern iPhone and Android phone. The issue occurs with both.

The specific behavior I'm seeing is:
- The device's Paired property gets set to true, then reverts to false a few seconds later
- The device's info file in /var/lib/bluetooth appears to be complete but missing the [LinkKey] section
- Attempting to connect to the device results in a PIN code prompt on every connection attempt
- Forgetting and re-pairing once in this state without restarting bluetoothd always results in a
  new pairing with the same issue
- The device can be paired again properly by removing it, restarting bluetoothd, and then re-pairing
- Restarting bluetoothd, then forgetting, and then re-pairing also seems to fix the issue
- The issue does not seem to occur when initiating pairing from the phone, even if
  this issue has occurred since the last time bluetoothd was restarted and the incomplete info file
  exists at the time the phone initiates pairing

I'm not sure where to go from here to investigate further or try to fix/work around this.
I have attached a log file from bluetoothd where this issue occurs. The device in question is
6C:E8:5C:5A:BE:5E, which I attempted to pair with 3 times. The third attempt ended up in this
invalid state.

Thank you,
Elliot Bonner