Re: [RFC] Bluetooth: Adding support for /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d

Hi Bastien,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 2:14 AM Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey Katherine,
>
> On Mon, 2022-03-07 at 10:57 -0800, Katherine Lai wrote:
> > Background
> >
> > It was found that a change to the default settings for
> > MinConnectionInterval and MaxConnectionInterval in main.conf broke
> > some of ChromeOS’s keyboard HID tests for only certain Bluetooth
> > controllers. These keyboards aren’t able to connect to the device.
> > Since those connection parameters improve the connection interval for
> > most other chipsets, we want to leave the default values but have a
> > way to have an optional override to address problematic models.
> >

> > Proposed Solution
> >
> > Adding support to bluetoothd for an additional config directory
> > /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d containing multiple files which will
> > override common params. Override order will be lexically sorted
> > filename order. This pattern is already used by Linux distros, for
> > example there is /etc/sudoers.d which files will override common
> > params in /etc/sudoers.
> >
> > Users can add override config files to /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d
> > rather than directly editing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf. This is more
> > friendly to package managers since BlueZ package updates won't cause
> > conflict to /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.
> >
> > In bluez’s main.c, merge the params for each *.conf file from
> > /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d with the existing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
> > in lexical filename order
> >
> > /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d will be configurable at build time, e.g.
> > with ./configure --main-conf-dir
>
> This isn't quite how the pattern is usually used. With the existing
> patterns, the OS-supplied stock configuration would be in
> /usr/lib/bluetooth/main.conf.d (maybe with the default .conf in the
> same directory as that subdir), with /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d only
> used for the user/admin override the default configuration.
We did a bit of research and found that /etc/X and /etc/X.d is more
common, e.g. the one described in
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/etc-configuration-directories.
If some distribution wants to organize the conf files to
/usr/lib/bluetooth (for stock by package managers) and
/etc/bluetooth/main.conf.d (for admin/users), I guess this is where
having a configurable path is useful.
What do you think?