Re: Userspace enumeration hang while btusb tries to load firmware of removed device

On Thu, 2021-11-04 at 09:28 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 10:34:22AM +0100, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> > Hi Marcel and Alan,

> > > the problem seems to be that we hitting HCI command timeout. So the
> > > firmware download is done via HCI commands. These commands are send
> > > to the transport driver btusb.c via hdev->send (as btusb_send_frame).
> > > This triggers the usb_submit_urb or queues them via data->deferred
> > > anchor. All this reports back the error properly except that nobody
> > > does anything with it.
> > >
> > > See hci_send_frame() last portion:
> > >
> > >         err = hdev->send(hdev, skb);
> > >         if (err < 0) {
> > >                 bt_dev_err(hdev, "sending frame failed (%d)", err);
> > >                 kfree_skb(skb);
> > >         }
> > >
> > > And that is it. We are not checking for ENODEV or any error here.
> > > That means the failure of the HCI command gets only caught via the
> > > HCI command timeout. I don’t know how to do this yet, but you would
> > > have to look there to fail HCI command right away instead of waiting
> > > for the timeout.
> >
> > Hmm, true, I don't see a "sending frame failed" error message during
> > the firmware download though.
>
> It is in the log you posted:
>
> [Mi Nov 3 11:55:23 2021] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to send firmware data (-110)
> [Mi Nov 3 11:55:23 2021] Bluetooth: hci0: sending frame failed (-19)
>
> But this occurred after the timeout, so maybe you had in mind something
> occurring earlier.

Yep, that one happens when the driver tries to reset the device. We
need to catch the error earlier in order to avoid the 10s wait.

> >  You are right that this codepath is
> > loosing the error, but this does not seem to be the scenario we are
> > running into while loading the firmware. This error only happens later
> > on from the btintel_reset_to_bootloader function.
> >
> > What seems to happen in the posted log is that the URB is initially
> > submitted just fine and the transfer errors out afterwards.
> > Unfortunately, the btusb_tx_complete is only used for statistics
> > (stat.err_tx is increased) and has no further error handling that could
> > abort the firmware upload.
>
> While detecting the errors during URB completion would be nice, it isn't
> necessary.  Things would work just as well if the disconnect error were
> detected during submission of the following URB.

Ah, good point. The in-flight interrupt URB responsible of retrieving
the event from the device will fail. It should be sufficient to inject
a hardware error event at that point in order to fix this.

As such, a simple solution may be to call hci_reset_dev from inside
btusb_intr_complete and btusb_submit_intr_urb when the URB submission
fails (for "err != -EPERM").

Benjamin