Re: [RFC BlueZ 0/2] mesh: Deliver mesh packets over datagram socket

Hi Michał,

On Tue, 2020-06-16 at 14:27 +0200, Michał Lowas-Rzechonek wrote:
> This patchset adds another D-Bus API for attaching applications, called
> AttachFD.

We have talked a little about this, but I am personally opposed to
switching the daemon--> App message delivery system to socket based.
This has the feeling of something that has been developed as the
result of a stress test to see how much data can be pushed through
the system as fast as possible, which should not be a common mesh use
case.

I also worry about the increase in system socket resorces...
Currently the daemon consumes 1 socket for App <--> daemon
communication (the one to the dbus daemon), and each App currently
being supported uses one more (again, to dbus daemon) And all
MUXing, marshaling and unmarshaling of messages is handled by
DBUS...   the very reason for it's existance. While creating a
new socket between App and daemon would make the messages flow
faster, it comes at the cost of re-inventing MUXing, marshaling,
unmarshaling plus all the additional sockets. A larger code
footprint, and a *much* larger resource footprint.

This just feels to me like the kind of customization that is fine
for a vendor to do for a specialized high-flow mesh, but not
something that we want to impose on everyone who uses Mesh in the
open source community.