Re: HSP/HFP ofono bluetooth support for Linux desktop

Hi Pali,

On 2/13/20 12:32 PM, Pali Rohár wrote:
At the time this was all done in software.

CVSD was never done in software. Always in hardware. As said, even now I
was not able to find bluetooth HW which would allow to do CVSD in software.

I don't remember the exact details. I seem to remember that for mSBC the conversion was being done on the host and no 'on-the-fly' conversion was done in hardware. Thus this host codec negotiation was not needed / considered.

https://lists.ofono.org/hyperkitty/list/ofono@xxxxxxxxx/message/6CUFGDPUJBRIZA4GUVFD2EPOET25XTN3/

So how do you negotiate the 'AgentCodec'?  Does BlueZ expose this
information?  If so, how? SCO socket option or ...?

It is done by HCI commands, therefore by kernel. There is discussion for
exporting userspace <--> kernel API to allow setting arbitrary
configurations for codecs supported by bluetooth HW.

Getting list of supported codecs can be done by this script:
https://github.com/pali/hsphfpd-prototype/blob/prototype/sco_features.pl
(needs to be run as root)

So you might want to get BlueZ guys to expose this info properly first. oFono is not in the business of opening raw hci sockets.

Isn't the MTU obtained from the SCO socket itself?  How is oFono at fault
here?

Yes, via some ioctl it can be done. But bluez for other bluetooth
profiles provides this information via dbus API. As bluez does not
support HSP/HFP it expects that software which implement it, provide
needed info

Only PA (or whatever implements the audio agent) really cares about this info and it can obtain it via getsockopt. So I really don't see why the MTU should be exposed via D-Bus. And this is why it wasn't. I don't see an issue here...?

This seems to be a kernel / device driver / firmware  issue and should be
solved at that level.

Why??? It is up to the application which owns SLC socket and this
application needs to provide API for it. Codecs are negotiated via AT
commands, so again only HFP / HSP daemon can do it.

So in my opinion it is really up to the kernel to tell us whether a given hardware supports wideband speech. So any quirks need to go into the kernel. Then userspace can select the best available codec automatically without resorting to having the user twiddle some settings.

So, why should I even consider to use ofono at all? It does not support
none of above desktop feature, it does not support extended codecs, it
does not support HSP profile and also it does not support HFP profile
without physical modem (majority of desktops and laptops).

Your initial proposal wanted to use oFono as some sort of helper for your daemon, and that is just not going to be accepted by oFono upstream. I gave you a few alternatives, including how to extend oFono to do what you want. If you want to roll your own, go for it.

Regards,
-Denis