Re: deprecated tools: rfcomm, can we un-deprecate it?

Hi Stefan,

On 4. Jan 2020, at 13.45, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This would be for creating a "rfcomm service" for other devices to
>> connect to, right? (The equivalent of "rfcomm listen...")
>>
>> But how would I connect e.g. to my serial module (I got this for trying
>> it by myself instead of relying on bugreporters results...), so what's
>> the dbus equivalent of "rfcomm connect hci0 <bdaddr> <channel>"?
>
> OK, now I found https://github.com/tonyespy/bluez5-spp-example which
> explains how to do this.
>
> I'd still think an example in the bluez documentation would be useful,
> because…

Doesn’t test/test-profile give a pretty good overview of both server- and client-role usage of the Profile D-Bus API? The main difference to the RFCOMM ioctls is that instead of a TTY you get a file descriptor (which I guess you could convert to a TTY using a pty). For client, another difference is that it’s a two-step process, i.e. first you register the client role profile and then you call e.g. ConnectProfile (which test-profile doesn’t cover).

Johan