Re: mesh: org.bluez.mesh.Element.MessageReceived method does not provide destination address

Hi Brian,

> Imagine a dot-matrix, where each pixel is a mesh node.
>
> Each of these pixels implements two models:
>     on element 0, a GenericOnOffServer controlling the light output
>     on element 1, a Blinkenlights Server model
>
> Blinkenlights Server extends GenericOnOff Server and GenericOnOff
> Client, and on top of that contains a translation table mapping group
> address to either 'ON' or 'OFF'.
>
> Now, when Blinkenlights Server receives a GenericOnOff Set message, it
> looks up the destination address at the translation table, and sends a
> *different* GenericOnOff Set to *its own* element 0, with target value
> determined by the translation entry.
>
> This allows users to configure each node in such a way, that sending a
> *single* message to a group address causes all pixels to switch to a
> preconfigured pattern *at the same time*.

Per conversation with Piotr, I'd like to revisit the discussion and
provide more details about our use case for models knowing the
destination address.

Please see a diagram at http://ujeb.se/BmTIW.

The main reason we map scenes using destination addresses is that such a
setup consumes much less unicast addresses.

Assuming that:
 S - number of switches
 B - number of buttons (elements) on a switch
 N - nunber of lamps

With a 'regular' case, number of consumed unicast addresses is
    S*B + N*(B+1)

With the destination mapping, it becomes
    S*B + N*2

Since we typically use 4 button switches (B=4), without translation we
consume unicast address space at a *much* faster rate.

reagrds
--
Michał Lowas-Rzechonek <michal.lowas-rzechonek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Silvair http://silvair.com