Re: Bug: no PropertiesChanged signal for org.bluez.Device1.AdvertisingData

Hello Luiz,

On 08/01/2019 17:12, Von Dentz, Luiz wrote:
Hi Arnaud,

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 1:03 PM Arnaud Mouiche
<arnaud.mouiche@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Luiz,

I was playing with latest sources (git) and experimental features
enabled in order to:
- perform a BLE scan
- find AdvertisingData (in particularly the BT_AD_INDOOR_POSITIONING (0x25))

I found that:
- once scanning is done org.bluez.Device1.AdvertisingData is correctly
set to the expected value (the one advertised)
- yet, there was no PropertiesChanged signal corresponding to this
AdvertisingData property update (despite I received PropertiesChanged
for RSSI)
Is the Data changing? If you want to get informed of each
advertisement regardless if it has changed you should set
DuplicateData filter:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/doc/adapter-api.txt#n107

If that doesn't work then perhaps we have a bug somewhere.

Yes "duplicate" is true

Indeed src/device.c:: add_data() performs a particular filtering to only
signal EIR_TRANSPORT_DISCOVERY data.

static void add_data(void *data, void *user_data)
{
     struct eir_ad *ad = data;
     struct btd_device *dev = user_data;

     if (!bt_ad_add_data(dev->ad, ad->type, ad->data, ad->len))
         return;

     if (ad->type == EIR_TRANSPORT_DISCOVERY)
         g_dbus_emit_property_changed(dbus_conn, dev->path,
                         DEVICE_INTERFACE,
                         "AdvertisingData");
}
Is there a particular reason for this behavior ?
If I recall this is not to spam the bus if we are not actively discovery.

I did some tracing and the "ad->type == EIR_TRANSPORT_DISCOVERY" test is the one filtering the property change signal.

Should we set a white/black list for this kind of filtering ? or something else... ?

Regards,
Arnaud