Re: BLE advertise name

Hi Luiz

On 28/05/2018 12:50, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
Hi Marco,

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Marco Palumbi <marco@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
thank you for the replay Luiz.

On 27/05/2018 09:01, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
Hi Marco,

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM, Marco Palumbi <marco@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hello to all,

I am trying to let BlueZ advertise on BLE with a name longer than 9
character. is this possible?
it seems to me that BlueZ uses the shortname to advertise over BLE.
Any suggestion?
How exactly are you trying to advertise? Btw, you should be able to
check what type we are using in the advertisement with use of btmon.

I tried to play with btmon but I wasn't able to find useful information from
it (probably I am not using it correctly..)
here is what I have done (BlueZ 5.41 - Digi Embedded Yocto 2.2-r3)

after starting the  bluetoothd

btmgmt -i hci0 le on
btmgmt -i hci0 connectable on
btmgmt -i hci0 advertising on
btmgmt -i hci0 discov on
btmgmt -i hci0 name MyVeryLongNameThatExceedsNineCharacters

now, if I search for BLE devices from an adroid phone using the "nRF Connct"
(app from Nordic Semi for BLE tast) I can see my device shown only with this
name:

MyVeryLong  (indeed they are 10 chars and not 9)

while if I do a "classic" ble scan from android I see it shown twice both
with the long and the short name.

Nevertheless the android app "nRF Connct" is able to get longer names from
devices not using BlueZ stack

is this a limit of BlueZ or there is something wrong on my setup?
Except that you should be using btmgmt as that requires sudo/root, I
actually wonder why you haven't tried with bluetoothctl as that would
use the D-Bus API available to applications?

I am not using sudo because I am on a very embedded SBC with ARM7 and Yocto linux distribution that has only the root user.
I am not using bluetoothctl mainly for lack of documentation..
What I am trying to do is to set up this board as BLE peripheral/server...(most of the available documentation refer to linux/BueZ as central/client..) and I wish this board to be discoverable trough the BLE discovery protocol with its full name instead of the short one. looking to the sources of btmgmnt, I understand that it sets the long and short names using the hci management soket and that is then managed at kernel divice dirver level... is there any way to let the kernel to use the long name to announce on the BLE network? My problem is that this linux board continues to be discovered whit its short name as BLE device