Re: A2DP: simple-agent vs bluetoothctl

On Dec 31, 2017 11:44, <mortadelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently playing with A2DP in Raspbian Stretch (i.e. Bluez
> 5.43-2+rpt2+deb9u2). I understand that there has been an architectural
> rework in BT pairing, connetion acceptance etc. handling. Whereas in
> earlier versions of BlueZ, the script 'simple-agent' was provided for a
> scripted (possibly unattended) pairing and connection handling, this
> script is no more available. 'bluetoothctl' is the actual replacement.

> What is the current philosophy behind pairing and connection management?
> Is 'simple-agent' still supposed to work, and I'm using it wrong, or is
> 'bluetoothctl' the way to go? If the latter, will it ever be scriptable?
>

> Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Hi,

You can use bluetoothctl non-interactively in the following way:

#  $ bluetoothctl << __EOL__
#  > connect xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
#  > __EOL__

connect and trust seem to work fine this way, but pair doesn't. If
you're okay with using python, checkout this library:
https://github.com/nullp0tr/bluew. I'm also planning to add a
non-interactive bluetoothctl alternative to it, but you can easily
write a 3 liner with it that does what you need (disclaimer: I wrote
it).

> My problem with 'bluetoothctl' is that, due to its interactive
> character, it is hard to impossible to use in scripts. 'simple-agent'
> (the previous version), however, seems to have become somewhat
> unpredictable in current Bluez. I haven't managed to implement a
> consistent and predictable flow of pairing -set trust - connect anymore
> with 'simple-agent'. Typically (but not consistently), the pairing would
> not be set to 'Trusted=true'.

Overall simple-agent should still work. Examples/code snippets of your
current 'flow', and the errors returned would help in finding the
problem.

Cheers,
Ahmed Alsharif.