Re: Runtime retrieval of bluetoothd version

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Alex Blasche <alexander.blasche@xxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to retrieve the version of bluetoothd runtime?
>
> Why is this necessary? Most bluetoothd versions add new or experimental DBus API's (in particular in the LE domain). However most of those interfaces/APIs do not turn up until later because they are dynamically added when devices appear. Since it is possible to work around missing BTLE DBus APIs using hci et al it would be nice to retrieve the bluetoothd version at runtime to match against a map of available non-experimental API per bluetoothd version. After all it is kind of hard to wait for never appearing BTLE interfaces due to using old Bluez/bluetoothd versions.

While I understand what you are at adding the version would only
affect upcoming releases so I don't how it would fix the problem.

> The only reliable way I have seen so far is bluetoothd --version which assumes that one knows where bluetoothd is located. At least in source I could not find any other way.

Perhaps with systemd you could check from the service what is the
binary and then parse the output, that would probably be the most
reliable way since the --version has been supported since 4.x times.

Btw, if you are looking for other hints you could try bind/listen on
GATT cid, as far GATT goes this should indicate bluetoothd is
listening on it.

> Thank you.
>
> --
> Alex--