Re: Meshctl beginner

Hi Oliver,

I don't have any experience on the rpi zero w, but I managed to start
using meshctl on my laptop using a bluetooth dongle (my build-in
dongle did not work). My nodes are not silicon labs based but nrf51
using zephyr).

I didn't have to change anything to the json files. But some advice:

1. Make sure bluetoothd is version 5.46 (latest from github): check
this by running bluetoothd -v. If it gives a lower version do a google
search on how to install bluez from source. When compiling don't
forget the option enable-mesh.

2. Make sure the correct bluetooth device is used, if you have more
than one, select the right device using [meshctl]# select ...

3. After the right device is selected run: [meshct]#
discover-unprovisioned on, this should show your node with a number
aabb...

4. Provision the node: [meshctl]# provision aabb000000000000, you can
remove any trailing zeros if there are

5. Provisioning can fail when the security is set to high (this means
that your node is using a unsecure way of provisioning, and you should
change the node's software), however you can change the security for
testing by recompiling or in the latest version with the command
[meshctl]#security ...

6. If the node is provisioned you need to configure it, I assume that
you are trying to configure a onoff-server (0100 below is the mesh
address):
    a. [... Mesh-Node-0100]#  configure 0100
    b. [config: Target = 0100]# add-appkey 1 (the onoff client defined
in the JSON files is using appkey 1)
    c. [config: Target = 0100]# bind 0 1 1000 (bind the appkey to the
server model, 1000 is the server model)
    d. [config: Target = 0100]# back

7. You can now control your onoff server using the onoffclient:
     a. [... Mesh-Node-0100]# onoff 0100
     b. [on/off: Target = 0100] # onoff 0 -> switch server off

I hope this can get you on the right track.

Kind regards,

Jehudi