kernel smp.c functions not called by Bluetootl LE controller

Hi,
I try to call printk (with priority KERN_ALERT) functions placed in the
net/bluetooth/smp.c file of my linux kernel 4.9.35 in order to get
output from specifc functions like:

static int smp_cmd_public_key()

But during a pairing with another bluetooth LE device the output of
these function is never shown in /var/log/kern.log

Is there any way to verify, that the LE Controller accesses the Security
Manager Protocol source code the Linux Kernel?

As far as I understood the Core Specification, in BT 4.0 an above the
Security Manager is always integrated in the Link Manager, when it comes
to BR/EDR. But for LE the SM is integrated in the Host part and not the
Controller. Thus LE Controller should access the smp.c in the Linux kernel.

Kind Regards,
Martin Grothe