5.43 Experimental Status?

I’m trying to bring my linux SBC acting as a peripheral up to debian stretch. I had been running on jessie, with my own build of bluez 5.41. I had been modifying the bluetooth.service to execute:

    /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd -d -E --noplugin=*

The latest stretch/testing bluez seems to be 5.43 though:

    dpkg -l | grep bluez
    ii  bluez                         5.43-1                   armhf        Bluetooth tools and daemons

I thought the -E flag was supposed to no longer be necessary after 5.42. So I removed it. I updated my own python code to match the small changes I found in example-advertisement. But I’m getting the following error:

    ERROR:dbus.connection:Unable to set arguments (dbus.ObjectPath('/nelson_irrigation/twig_pilot'), {}) according to signature None: <class 'ValueError'>: Unable to guess signature from an empty dict

Which after googling, was the same error I found a while back when I had forgotten to turn -E on with 5.40.

So I added the -E back in and it started working as hoped.

Can someone explain why the -E is still needed with 5.43, for dbus code like that found in the test/examples? Did it not really get promoted after all? Or did I misunderstand the semantics of what was changing?--