Re: Possible bug: D-Bus Advertising API does not generate first section of advertising payload

Hi both,

> On 3 Aug 2016, at 11:19, Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Alex, Vinicius,
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Vinicius Costa Gomes
> <vinicius.gomes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Alex Coplan <alex.coplan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I’m experiencing a bit of trouble using the BlueZ D-Bus API for broadcast advertising. In particular, I’m trying to generate iBeacon advertisements using the API.
>>>
>>> So far, I have successfully used the D-Bus API to implement LE peripheral advertising (Type = ‘peripheral’). However, getting BlueZ to generate well-formed iBeacon packets is proving problematic.
>>>
>>> In the process of debugging, I used hcidump to obtain the advertising payload produced by my code. I have a reference implementation using the HCI socket API to generate iBeacon advertisements, and this works well. Here is the advertising payload generated by the HCI code (which I obtained from here: https://github.com/carsonmcdonald/bluez-ibeacon/blob/master/bluez-beacon/ibeacon.c).
>>>
>>> ==============================================================
>>>      Working advertising payload generated by HCI code
>>> ==============================================================
>>>
>>>  Total    AD 0   Ad            AD 1   Ad     Apple Inc
>>>  Length   Len    Type  Flags   Len    Type   ---------
>>>    |      |      |      |      |      |      |       |
>>>    1e     02     01     1a     1a     ff     4c     00
>>>
>>>    iBeacon
>>>    Prefix        . . . . . . .  U   U   I   D  . . . .
>>>    ---------     -------------------------------------
>>>    |       |     |
>>>    02     15     56     5c     a5     be     7a     df
>>>
>>>    . . . . . .  U   U   I   D  . . . . . . . . . . . .
>>>    ---------------------------------------------------
>>>    4f     7b     b2     68     91     f4     08     d7
>>>
>>>    . . . . .     Major=10      Minor=10      Tx
>>>    70     cd     00     0a     00     0a     cf     00

>>> I am using the terminology from this packet diagram (http://www.argenox.com/wp-content/uploads/ibeacon-packet-format.png). Packets containing this advertising payload are correctly recognised by iOS devices as iBeacon packets.
>
> Not sure where you got this from but 1a is not formatted according to
> the CSS, bits 5-7 are reserved also a broadcast shall not set LE
> General Discoverable Mode so this is very odd.

This packet was generated by the code that I linked to on GitHub. That
code is also broken because it sets the packets to be connectable (ADV_IND)
instead of ADV_NONCONN_IND as it should be for a Beacon advertisement.