Re: AVRCP 1.6

- Bluez supports AVRCP up to 1.5

Actually we can do up to 1.6 but just the mandatory commands which
don't include the ones necessary for cover art, etc.

Ok, great!

Android has support only to 1.3, there are vendors that extend to
1.4/1.5 like samsung but they have to change all the way from HAL to
java to interface this to the application.

Interesting, do you know any reasons why Google won't incorperate a newer version ?

You can use tools/bluetooth-player if you want to control it from the
command line, another alternative is to use tools/mpris-proxy and then
control it using a MPRIS controller.

Great, I've been looking into those. It seems to me bluetooth-player as the CT and mprix-proxy as the TG can provide a test setup for future AVRCP 1.6 testing. It's interesting to see that the mpris spec supports an artUrl already: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mpris-spec/metadata/#index3h4. I'm thinking bluetooth-player sends the image through AVRCP 1.6 to the mpris-proxy. mpris-proxy puts it in /tmp/ and provides a url like file:///tmp/<randomstring>.bmp to the mediaplayer through the Art URL. What do you think of this approach?

- Would you consider it possible to put the right hex into my Android app
and transmit that to my Bluetooth connection so I can implement it without
the Android Bluez stack supporting it? If target devices will ever support
it... Since it's serial communication, I thought why not? I never did
anything like this with Bluetooth programming so forgive my ignorance. :)
Something like this: create L2CAP channel with the Cover Art UUID. Wait for
response; encode picture in the right data packages, and here we go. Leave
other Bluetooth communication requirements to Android.

You can do whatever you want, but since it would be non-standard this
would limit a lot the usage.

Well, I was hoping I could keep it standard compliant using this method. However since you responded like this; do you think it's not possible to create the correct hex strings in my own program for some reason?

- Or maybe I could use the cddb support? Maybe it's possible to redirect
traffic to cddb to somewhere else, provide the cddb interface and offer the
image like that? I know, it's horrible... ;)

Also non-standard, perhaps investing time in doing a AVRCP 1.6 would be better.

That would be awesome. I'm not that good at c but maybe I can try to implement it in the player and the proxy with tips from you, adding it to BlueZ however is another story I guess. :)