Re: SelectConfiguration not called by bluez for a bluetooth headset

Hi Harry,

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Qingtao Cao <qingtao.cao.au@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Luiz,
>
> First things first, many thanks for your comments!
>

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
> <luiz.dentz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Harry,
>>
>> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 4:13 AM, Qingtao Cao <qingtao.cao.au@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi Community,
>>>
>>> I have two questions about how bluez would invoke the
>>> SelectConfiguration provided by the registered media endpoint. I am
>>> using bluez-4.101.
>>>
>>> 1. With a bluetooth speaker that supports A2DP, from logs of my
>>> program manipulating bluez's dbus API I saw bluez had invoked the
>>> SelectConfiguration method with parameters describing the capability
>>> of the bluetooth speaker, so that my program could send back bluez a
>>> dbus message with my preferred settings, e.g., 48k Hz frequency and
>>> Mono.
>>
>> SelectConfiguration is only called in case of outgoing connection so
>> you can select the preferred configuration, for incoming connection
>> the remote will select the configuration so we can only accept or
>> reject it.
>>

> So do you mean that the SCO connection with a bluetooth headset will
> be regarded as incoming instead of outgoing, despite that there are
> both speaker and mic on it?
>
>>> However, when I tested with a bluetooth headset that only supports
>>> HFP/HSP, bluez seems not calling SelectConfiguration, but
>>> SetConfiguration directly. Furthermore, the "Configuration" in the
>>> parameters of the SetConfiguration is an empty array:
>>>
>>>    object path "/org/bluez/3765/hci1/dev_1C_48_F9_AD_19_EE/fd5"
>>>    array [
>>>       dict entry(
>>>          string "Device"
>>>          variant             object path
>>> "/org/bluez/3765/hci1/dev_1C_48_F9_AD_19_EE"
>>>       )
>>>       dict entry(
>>>          string "UUID"
>>>          variant             string "0000111f-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb"
>>>       )
>>>       dict entry(
>>>          string "Codec"
>>>          variant             byte 0
>>>       )
>>>       dict entry(
>>>          string "Configuration"
>>>          variant             array [
>>>             ]
>>>       )
>>>       dict entry(
>>>          string "NREC"
>>>          variant             boolean true
>>>       )
>>>       dict entry(
>>>          string "InbandRingtone"
>>>          variant             boolean true
>>>       )
>>>       dict entry(
>>>          string "Routing"
>>>          variant             string "HCI"
>>>       )
>>>    ]
>>
>> Hmm Im afraid this is old since we no longer support HSP/HFP
>> endpoints, the reference implementation of HFP is in ofono which does
> [...]

So lets cut to the chase here and move on to BlueZ 5 since BlueZ 4 is
also obsolete, you can check out what how pulseaudio have implemented
HSP natively here:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/tree/src/modules/bluetooth/backend-native.c

As you can see it is very simple, you will get a file descriptor when
the profile connection for AT command then all you need is handle SCO
connections which is also in the file above.

Btw, you should have found the following link if you had google:

http://www.bluez.org/bluez-5-api-introduction-and-porting-guide/

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz