Re: LE Reverse Service Discovery

Hi Adam,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:41 PM, Adam Moore
<adam.moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Iıve noticed that since around BlueZ 5.27, GATT client functionality is
> enabled for all devices.
>
> From a LE Peripheral's perspective, this results in unconditional reverse
> service discovery of a Central's GATT services.
>
> It seems like this will not always be necessary depending on the use case,
> and disabling GATT client functionality should save energy and time.  My
> iPhone, for example, has about 8 services that my Peripheral doesnıt care
> about.

This is only considerable for the very first time you connect, after
that Read By Group should return matching cached services so no extra
commands would be needed.

> Iım considering making an attempt to disable this, as the BT spec says
> GATT clients are optional for LE peripherals. (BT 4.2, Vol 3, Part C,
> Table 15.1), but I first would like to ask if anyone has any insight on
> why it may be desirable to keep the client functionality enabled.

There are important services behind GATT, such as GAP and DIS, that
are relevant even for a peripheral. We could perhaps disable the
discovery if there are no drivers available to probe, but currently we
have no means to detect if the driver UUID is GATT or not.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz