Re: Exploring Bluez alternatives

On Fri, November 27, 2015 1:32 am, Ad Zeevaarders wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am an intern at a company. After having developed a few Low Energy
> applications using BlueZ, the DBus-way and the mgmt way, I was ready for
> my new assignment. The applications I developed were targeted at an
> embedded ARM platform running Linux without DBus. The new application I
> need to develop needs to connect to a device, receive some values using
> indications, then disconnect.
>
> To my amazement my employer told me that they wanted me to explore
> alternatives to BlueZ, as they were unsure of the reliability and
> especially the performance. They sent me a Wikipedia page listing several
> embedded Bluetooth stacks, like BlueCode+, and asked me to prove, for
> every single stack, why Bluez was 'better'. My initial response was
> "Because it is the official supported Bluetooth stack for Linux, our
> target development OS." Exploring the other solutions, I could not find
> any rationale as to why I would choose a different protocol stack.

Hi,
This maybe of no interest, but I wanted to point out another alternate
'community written' stack....

http://bluekitchen-gmbh.com/btstack/

Started as a completely Free project, but was then relicensed to be 'free
for non-commercial'. Depending on what you need it might be usable for
your projects.

BTW you have a hard task if employers just don't like Bluez :-( To me (as
just a user) the code size would be the major detractor, but it does work
pretty well.

Good luck,
Simon