Re: Kernel Oops: btusb: 4.2rc1 System lockup with BT dongle insert - log attached

On 07/17/2015 08:14 AM, simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

So in summary this problem is showing up now as the 'User Helper
Fallback'
is now forced on, obviously the underlying problem needs to be fixed -
but
I don't know when it crept in.

The 'CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK' enables to load firmware
data manually by accessing /sys/class/firmware/<name>/data. It runs in
case the firmware file is missing.
This user helper fallback will be enabled if one of LP55xx driver is
included in your dot config. Please see my patch below.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/leds?id=b67893206fc0a0e8af87130e67f3d8ae553fc87c

However, I'm not sure why this affects your system lockup. Can I have
more details?

Hi Milo,
I'm not suggesting that your patch is the cause, just that it is an
'enabler' and and explains why the problem (system lockup when I plug USB
Bluetooth dongle in) appears now.

A full Oops log is further back in this thread:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg63090.html

Will try building 4.1 with this option to see if it fails.

A very quick test as I was leaving the house this morning shows that 4.1
with 'CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK' does not show the problem.

So at least we know the 'real' problem is a recent change to the code.
Simon

I think this was reported and fixed

https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/7/8/858
https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/7/8/1199