Re: BLE device advertised manufacturer data cached?

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Michael Janssen <jamuraa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> created for my device in bluez's dbus hiearchy.  It has a
>> ManufacturerData field that looks just like what my advertisement
>> sends, for example here's the output of the device's dbus tree (using
>> python):
>>
>> [ /org/bluez/hci0/dev_C5_25_55_09_6A_B1 ]
>>     org.bluez.Device1
>>       Name = UART
>>       Paired = 0
>>       Adapter = /org/bluez/hci0
>>       LegacyPairing = 0
>>       Alias = UART
>>       ManufacturerData = dbus.Dictionary({dbus.UInt16(65535):
>> dbus.Array([dbus.Byte(0), dbus.Byte(0), dbus.Byte(0), dbus.Byte(1)],
>> signature=dbus.Signature('y'), variant_level=1)},
>> signature=dbus.Signature('qv'), variant_level=1)
>>       Connected = 0
>>       UUIDs = dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s'), variant_level=1)
>>       Address = C5:25:55:09:6A:B1
>>       Trusted = 0
>>       Blocked = 0
>>
>> Everything looks great and the manufacturer data is parsed out as I
>> expect.  However the problem is when I have the nRF51822 change the
>> advertised manufacturer data.  For example if I change to
>> 0x07FFFFFF00000002 (so the last 4 bytes change to 0x00000002) I'm not
>> seeing the updated value in bluez's dbus hierarchy.  When I query the
>> device object's ManufacturerData property I still see the old value
>> that ends in 1.  Even if I sit in a loop querying the value every
>> second for over a minute I still don't see the updated value (for
>> reference the nRF51822 is advertising this updated value every
>> second).
>>
>> I do notice that if I remove the device from bluez's dbus hiearchy (by
>> getting its parent adapter and calling RemoveDevice on it) then I do
>> see the device added back with the current/updated ManufacturerData
>> property.  This makes me think there's something up with the
>> manufacturer data field getting cached or never being updated.
>>
>> I wanted to check is this expected behavior, that the manufacturer
>> data property won't be updated when it changes?  If so is there any
>> clean way to disable this caching or get access to the most recently
>> seen/up to date manufacturer data field?
>>
>> Let me know if anything isn't clear or if perhaps I'm doing something
>> completely wrong.  Thanks!
>>
>> -Tony
>> --
>
> BlueZ doesn't update the Advertising Data unless there is an active
> discovery client or the device is already paired.  Is the device
> paired, or are you calling the StartDiscovery method on the device?
>
> Note that the link layer does not need to send duplicate reports (the
> same device address) to the host even if the advertising data changes.
> This is acceptable behavior per the spec, as outlined in Vol 6, Part
> B, Section 4.4.3 "Scanning State": "The advertising data may change;
> advertising data or scan response data is not considered significant
> when determining duplicate advertising reports."

Thanks for the reply!  Yeah I've called StartDiscovery on an adapter
so I should see advertisement data come in (and in practice I do see
my deivce show up after StartDiscovery is called).

However I'm not pairing or connecting to the device because I'd like
to read advertisement data from multiple devices at the same time.
I'm thinking of a scenario kind of like Apple's iBeacon or Google's
UriBeacon but for reading sensors, where each device/sensor puts its
data into an advertisement packet (just using some custom manufacturer
data field for now) and broadcasts that reading to any device
listening for advertisements.

Here's pseudo code of what I'm doing:
- Setup my device firmware to start advertising custom manufacturer
data with value 1 (for example).
- Get BLE adapter org.bluez.Adapter1 object.
- Set adapter's Powered property to True/1 to make sure it's powered up.
- Call adapter's StartDiscovery function to start listening for advertisements.
- See that my device is added to the bluez dbus tree with the
org.bluez.Device1 interface.
- Verify the device's ManufacturerData property has the expected value of 1.
- Change my device's firmware to advertise custom manufacturer data
with value 2.
- Sit in a loop reading the bluez device's ManufacturerData property
every second.
- See that the ManufacturerData from bluez still shows the old value of 1.

Here's the pseudo code of something that works, but feels pretty hacky
to have to remove the device to get an updated value:
- Setup my device firmware to start advertising custom manufacturer
data with value 1 (for example).
- Get BLE adapter org.bluez.Adapter1 object.
- Set adapter's Powered property to True/1 to make sure it's powered up.
- Call adapter's StartDiscovery function to start listening for advertisements.
- See that my device is added to the bluez dbus tree with the
org.bluez.Device1 interface.
- Verify the device's ManufacturerData property has the expected value of 1.
- Change my device's firmware to advertise custom manufacturer data
with value 2.
- Call the adapter's RemoveDevice function to remove the device from
bluez's dbus hierararchy.
- See that my device is added back to the bluez dbus tree again (after
it send another advertisement).
- Verify the device's ManufacturerData property has the new value of 2.

Does that help clarify the usage?  Thanks!