Re: GattManager1 and multiple-controllers

Hi Arman,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 1:25 AM, Arman Uguray <armansito@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had some discussion about this on IRC but I thought I'd gather
> everything into an email and keep the discussion going on the mailing
> list.
>
> The question I have was regarding how bluetoothd should behave as a
> GATT server when there are multiple controllers on the system. The
> main things to figure out here are:
>
>    1. Should there be a single global gatt_db or should there be a
> gatt_db instance per-adapter? holtmann@ suggested that the latter
> makes the most sense, since the spec always appears to talk always
> about a host that acts on a single controller. With a single GATT
> database, we get into undefined territory when multiple controllers
> want to access it; for instance, if a service wants to send a
> notification will that cause all attached controllers to send out the
> same notification? Seems a bit strange.

Well you can only do notifications if you are connected, and we should
be tracking what device has enable them anyway.

>    2. If gatt_db is per-adapter, then should GattManager1 be a global
> interface or should it be on the adapter object? Basically, what
> happens when an external application registers a service? Do we want
> it to automatically show up in the databases of all local adapters?
> Should the application be able to say which adapter to use? What if
> some of the adapters are single-mode BR/EDR-only adapters?
>
> I personally think that exposing the GattManager1 interface on each
> adapter object is the simplest approach but a lot of people seem to
> have voiced opinions on this, hence it would be nice to discuss this
> here and figure out what makes the most sense.

It is probably the easiest to start with but I also agree with what
Johan said on irc, we can have a global one as well per adapter, which
makes sense to avoid having application to do extra lookups for
adapter. Anyway lets start with per adapter so we get things moving.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz