Re: GATT plugin

Hi Arman,

>>> I am building a GATT service/plugin for the bluetooth daemon and have
>>> ported 5.27 bluez to my embedded ARM platform.
>>>
>>> It seems like the GATT D-Bus API is not quite ready, so my options
>>> appear to be either building the plugin and linking it as a statically
>>> linked object or build it as a shared object library where the daemon
>>> will pick it up from /usr/local/lib/bluetooth/plugins
>>> Are both supported? I saw a message from about a year ago suggesting
>>> the shared object approach was not the best path.
>>
>> actually I would prefer if we get the GATT D-Bus API ready so that you can use it. Have you tried it? I am actually curious to hear what would be missing.
>>

> The GATT D-Bus API was mostly implemented for client role a little
> after the christmas release. I received push back on
> StartNotify/StopNotify for an edge case and I haven't come up with an
> alternative, so the API is behind the experimental flag and doesn't
> support enabling notifications.
>
> Server role support (over D-Bus) doesn't exist at all. If you run the
> daemon with -E, you'll see the org.bluez.GattManager1 interface
> exported but interacting with it virtually doesn't do anything.
>
> The thing is, the upstream review process has been taking way too long
> for us and we have some features to deliver, so I'm working on the
> remaining features within the ChromiumOS tree for now. So you won't
> see any patches from me any time soon. Last where I left off, we were
> discussing replacing GattManager1 with a new GattProfile1 &
> GattProfileManager1 API, so I may send out a proposal for that some
> time next week.
>
> Otherwise, that's where the API stands :)

actually I would prefer if we get this upstream quicker. And that applies to GATT client and GATT server support. I was under the assumption that Luiz was working on this as well. So what can we do to make this go faster?

One small detail here. I hope we are clear that "service" in LE GATT means the server side and "profile" in LE GATT is actually the client. The GATT server exposes a service and the profile explains how a GATT client uses it.

Regards

Marcel