D-Bus API for GATT Connect/Disconnect

Hi all,

For GATT, applications using bluetoothd currently need to use
Device1.Connect and Device1.Disconnect when they want to initiate a
connection to a peripheral, though these functions are really
primarily meant for UI usage. BlueZ already has a D-Bus API for BR/EDR
profiles such as ConnectProfile/DisconnectProfile and the
ProfileManager API which is more geared towards applications and I
think we'll need something for GATT as well. The basic features that
I'm thinking of are:

   1. Sessions per D-Bus connection that provide a reference count for
the ACL connection.
   2. Correctly handling the reference count if the connection was
initiated via Device1.Connect or via auto-connect.
   3. This would be GATT only at first but it could perhaps expand to
connection-oriented channels eventually?

I don't really have an RFC API proposal at this point but I wanted to
get this discussion going. What would make most sense here?

Thanks,
Arman