Re: RFC: Populating shared/gatt-client from storage.

Hi Marcel,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 5:17 AM, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Arman,

>>> what we could do is just store the plain binary data. These are cache files and if you remove them, that just means next time we have to do full service discovery again.

>>> Adding tons of parameters to a _new() is not really a good idea. I would always add a special _new_without_discovery() or something similar to our API. If we decide to go this route.

>>> One other way of doing something like this is doing it this way:
>>>
>>>        struct bt_gatt_storage;
>>>
>>>        struct bt_gatt_storage *bt_gatt_storage_new()
>>>        bt_gatt_storage_add_x
>>>
>>>        struct bt_gatt_client *bt_gatt_client_from_storage(struct bt_gatt_storage);
>>>
>>> I am not sure this is actually any better. It is just an idea, but we might want to just store plain binary data of cached services in a binary cached file. I think that we can have a binary storage format for the cached data and then we just point the bt_gatt_client_new_with_cahce() to that file and let it load if present. So the upper layers would just decide where that file is located.
>>>

>> I think in the end the exact format of the data should be up to the
>> upper layer, whether its binary data or INI format. After some
>> discussions on IRC we decided that this storage could be represented
>> by shared/gatt-db, which already has these functions to add services,
>> characteristics, etc. But we would need to make shared/gatt-db provide
>> a client role abstraction as well, since it's more meant for the
>> server role at the moment.
>>
>> This way bluetoothd could for example just read the INI file, create a
>> gatt_db and do something like bt_gatt_client_from_db(db, mtu);
>
> following up on my other email, then yes, we could have a bt_gatt_cache that is a collection of bt_gatt_db objects. That however is an implementation detail to me. I think it is important that we have a global concept of a cache. And as said, just having an in-memory cache will already solve 99% of the use cases where we want to avoid service discovery for already known devices. Only cold-boot would be an issue and honestly that is a penalty that I would happily accept for a first iteration. Which means we do not have to bother with file formats in the beginning.

I guess we are more or less in the same page then, I just did not
thought about the global cache but yes it could well be a collection
of bt_gatt_db per device. I also agree we could have a in-memory cache
to start with until we decide a good format to store persistently,
Szymon actually suggested doing the cache in binary format like we
have for SDP, perhaps one service per line, but that is something we
can give more thought. I guess we can experiment with HoG here, since
once you configure CCC we should not miss any event from the point we
connect.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz