Re: Handling EBUSY for LE connections.

Hi Marcel,

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Arman Uguray <armansito@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Marcel,
>
>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Arman,

>>> OK, so what is the work that I would need to do here? I'm not super
>>> familiar with the kernel code, hence I'd appreciate some guidance.
>>> From what you said, I gather two different work items:
>>>
>>>  1. Queue connection attempts and reissue when the controller becomes free.
>>>  2. Make use of background scanning.
>>>
>>> If we do #2 would we need #1 as well? I assume #2 will only be
>>> possible on later kernels, is there a solution that would easily
>>> backport to older kernels?
>>
>> the background scanning is part of 3.17 and later, and you want to backport that anyway. Main reason is that it using the controller whitelist and is needed for proper LE HID support anyway.
>>

> OK. For ChromiumOS's 3.10 and 3.14 kernels Scott has already done a
> backport from the latest bluetooth-next but we had concerns for kernel
> 3.8. I guess for now I'll go with your background scan based
> suggestion and worry about those older platforms later.
>
>> So the only thing that should be needed is the capabilities to add an entry to the connection list that has a timeout. Right now only userspace via mgmt Add/Remove Device can modify this list. These entries would come from L2CAP connect() calls and need to fail if the device in question can not be found in x seconds.
>>
>> This means the connection logic from the background scanning should get a delayed workqueue for the timeout and we have to add timeout values to each entry in our list. And then remove them when timeout has been reached and send a proper socket error back to userspace. The real advantage comes into play that as a result the connection handling would then also use the controller whitelist and with that can easily connect multiple device after each other. For the automatic connections that we trigger via mgmt Add/Remove Device this already works right now.
>>

> OK, that sounds straightforward actually. I'll start looking into this
> and probably send out some RFC patches later.
>
>> Regards
>>
>> Marcel
>>

> Thanks,
> Arman

I guess I'm seeking some programming advice now as a net/bluetooth
noob. So it looks like in l2cap_code.c:l2cap_chan_connect I want to
replace the call to "hci_connect_le" with some variant of
hci_conn_params_set. Based on my understanding, eventually if an ADV
report is received, hci_event.c:process_adv_report will handle
creating the connection for us (in hci_event.c:check_pending_le_conn).

>From here, what would be the best (and proper) way to propagate this
information and the newly created hci_conn structure to the l2cap
layer so that the l2cap_conn structure can be set up?

Thanks,
Arman