Re: How to get started on a GATT Server ?

On 11/03/2014 08:32 PM, Arman Uguray wrote:
Hi Edmund,

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Urbani, Edmund <edmund.urbani@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to write a simple GATT-based service of my own. Right now I
don't really know which docs I should be looking at. I have skimmed through
bluez sources (5.23) and found gatt-service.h and gatt.h, as well as the
gatt-example plugin.

So far I am still trying to figure out whether I should be going the C API
route or maybe use the D-Bus interface. Also gatt-service.c seems to suggest
that there is a way to register a GATT service over D-Bus but running it
gives me this:
RegisterService: Method "RegisterService" with signature "oa{sv}" on
interface "org.bluez.GattManager1" doesn't exist"
The reason you're not seeing GattManager1 is because it's hidden
behind the "experimental" flag. So you need to configure and run bluez
with the --enable-experimental and the --experimental flags
respectively.

That said, that API implementation isn't complete and isn't in fact
even wired up with the internal attrib-server. We're working towards
rewriting all of the C API and finally implementing the proposed D-Bus
API but until then, I would ignore doc/gatt-api.txt (it's only a
proposal at the moment and isn't even included in release tarballs).
So for now you have to use the C API route. There will probably be an
announcement once that D-Bus API is finally supported.

Any pointers to help me get started would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kind regards,
   Edmund
Cheers,
Arman

Thanks, I won't bother with the D-Bus interface then. But if the C API is being rewritten now, that sounds like there is currently no stable API available at all. :/ Or is it just the internals being rewritten?

So I assume, the fastest route the get a prototype that does something, would be to get gatt-example.c to run and then modify that, right?

Kind regards,
 Edmund