Re: GATT + DBus API Questions

Hey Arman,

On Oct 23, 2014, at 5:00 PM, Arman Uguray <armansito@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Ryan Du Bois <rdub@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hey There,
>>
>> I've been trying to create a GATT service via the DBus BlueZ API (org.bluez.GattManager1 + org.bluez.GattService1/GattCharacteristic1).  I'm currently using dbus-python to do this.
>>
>> What I have been able to accomplish thus far (with much exploring of the source code, and additional DBG() messages added to illuminate where I had been going wrong) is the following:
>>        - Created proper DBus Proxy objects for GattService1 & GattCharacteristic1
>>                - Each object vends the org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties interface, to allow BlueZ to retrieve the UUID and other properties on each instance.
>>        - Created a proper ObjectManager proxy object to allow BlueZ to retrieve the aforementioned GattService1 and GattCharacteristic1 objects.
>>        - Called GattManager1's RegisterService() method with appropriate arguments.
>>        - Observed that BlueZ's GattManager1 instance calls my ObjectManager's GetManagedObjects() method, and receives the appropriate object paths/handles/properties.
>>        - Observed that BlueZ accomplishes all the internal machinery necessary to register the GATT Service in src/gatt-dbus.c (namely, I get the "Added GATT service /com/kamama/blargh..." printout on the console, when running in debug mode).
>>
>> What I'm not able to see is the GATT service being listed when I explore the GATT services on my device via a BTLE exploration tool (I'm using LightBlue on Mac OS X to explore this device).
>>
>> Looking closer at the code, it looks to me like src/gatt-dbus.c is not hooked up to attrib/gatt-service.c, which is probably why my GATT Service and Characteristic are not showing up when exploring the device.
>>
>> Am I missing something, or is this not yet implemented?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> +Ryan Du Bois
>> rdub@xxxxxxxxxx
>>

> As far as I know, gatt-dbus isn't actually wired up to attrib-server
> as you said. So it populates an internal linked list of attributes but
> then doesn't actually do anything over the listening socket it
> creates.
>
> The thing is, we're currently in the process of rewriting all of
> bluez's internal GATT/ATT tools and we'll probably entirely rewrite
> src/gatt-dbus as well. An experimental implementation should appear
> for both GATT client and server roles in the upcoming months, but
> until then there's no good way to host GATT services over D-Bus.
>
> Thanks,
> Arman

Okay, that correlates with what I'm seeing. Most examples I've seen online
have been implemented in C, calling gatt_service_add().

In the time between now and a working DBus GATT API, would that
approach be the proper method to host a GATT service with BlueZ?
I'm on 5.21 at the moment, but could easily upgrade to something else
if it's better for GATT services.

Thanks!
--
+Ryan Du Bois