Re: how to set PSCAN mode in .conf?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> But on older bluez-5.21, the PSCAN and ISCAN are enabled automatically.
>
> this is intentionally. Starting with BlueZ 5.23 and Linux 3.17, the Page Scan state is controlled by the kernel. If you have no devices paired / configured, then it will just disable Page Scan. If you do not know about devices, then there is also no point in allowing anybody to connect.

> You can use the management command Add Device to add BR/EDR devices. If you add at least one device, then Page Scan will be enabled automatically by the kernel. If you want to be always connectable, then you can set the device manually connectable.
>
> Using bluetoothctl does exactly the right thing. For being discoverable, you need to be connectable and discoverable. So Page Scan and Inquiry Scan enabled. However if you do not have any paired devices and turn discoverable back off, then both will be disabled.
>
> Just try it. Pair with a device and see that Page Scan gets turn on magically.

Marcel,

Excellent info that would have taken me a long time to find out!
Thanks for sharing!

I tried  ...

# btmgmt add-device -t BR/EDR -a 1 F4:B7:E2:E9:54:68
hci0:   Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
        BD Address: F4:B7:E2:E9:54:68  ACL MTU: 1021:8  SCO MTU: 64:1
        UP RUNNING PSCAN

I don't know what the actions are supposed to do, but "-a 1" works.

Next I tried "connectable" but "info" still didn't show the
connectable and hciconfig didn't show ISCAN.

# btmgmt connectable F4:B7:E2:E9:54:68
hci0 Set Connectable complete, settings: powered bondable ssp br/edr le
# btmgmt info
hci0:   addr F4:B7:E2:E9:54:68 version 6 manufacturer 15 class 0x000000
        supported settings: powered connectable fast-connectable
discoverable bondable link-security ssp br/edr hs le advertising
debug-keys privacy configuration
        current settings: powered bondable ssp br/edr le

But if I use bluetoothctl "discoverable on", ISCAN showed up on hciconfig.

And one last thing ... if I put btmgmt in a script and run it right up
hciconfig hci0 up, the command would not work. A minimum of "sleep 1"
is required.

So, what's the best way to set the device to be always discoverable?
And I need this because the "server" needs to be discoverable by the
Intermec scanners. The scanner would scan a "server barcode" to
connect to the server. And this was the default behavior on
bluez-5.21.

Thanks,
Jeff.