Re: [RFC] need for new scan api for bluetooth low energy.

Hi Jakub,

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014, Jakub Pawlowski wrote:
> >> My use case include scanning for non-paired, non-connected devices,
> >> checking RSSI value and deciding about connection based on
> >> advertisement content, so that won't work. Am I right ?
> >
> > If you know the bdaddr that you're interested in in advance we should be
> > able to tweak the Add Device command to do what you want (e.g. disable
> > duplicate filtering in the case of Action=0x00 entries). However, if
> > what you need is general scanning for any devices (also previously
> > unknown ones) then Add Device doesn't really fit in (since it takes a
> > known bdaddr). For that we'd either need to consider allowing BDADDR_ANY
> > as an accepted parameter or then we'd need to define a new mgmt command.
> >

> Unfortunately my case include previously unknown devices. I decide
> wether I should connect (without pairing) based on advertised service
> and RSSI power only. BDADDR_ANY seems good solution. Or maybe we can
> add some parameter that will force not using controller-side whitelist
> for scan?

With the BDADDR_ANY solution that'd be the trigger not to use the
controller-side white list. Simply disabling the controller side white
list isn't enough since the kernel would still filter out unknown
addresses and never send Device Found mgmt events.

Johan