Getting started with BLE device

We've been building a product with a different BLE module. Today we got our new hardware that uses a TiWi-BLE module and BlueZ (under Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04), and I'm looking for documentation on how to get started with it. I can't seem to find a good starting point.

The Ubuntu image we have (it came from our board designer) has a bunch of commands installed, like bluez-test-adapter, bluez-test-service, etc. But when I try to execute bluez-test-adapter (as root), I just get dbus errors:

	dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.bluez.Error.NoSuchAdapter: No such adapter

Some other attempts, including hciconfig and python /usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices, show no devices. I'm not sure what a device looks like (is it /dev/something?). It's possible our kernel isn't properly configured. But I can't find any docs that show me how to start.

The end goal is to configure this device to be a Bluetooth LE server.

I'd greatly appreciate some guidance as to where to go next. Thanks!

--
Rick