Re: Passive scanning of iBeacons results in a "Data Buffer Overflow"

On 2014-03-10 06:21, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
Hi Terry,

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Terry Hardie <terryh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The problem is when running a lescan (hcitool lescan) with a LE device in paring mode, which is transmitting a lot of LE Advertising report packets, the HCI drivers eventually loses sync. I've traced it down to a duplicate
USB fragment.

I think your logs show missing USB packets (not duplicated)... More
details below.

Interesting that it always loses 2 packets, and never 1, that's why I assumed duplication...

In summary, it is expected that for devices that don't change address,
the only byte to change is the RSSI (last byte of the last fragment).
That's why the 2 first fragments are usually the same for all
advertising packets.

You asked in another email if I tried a powered hub. Yes, I tried a powered hub. I get the same results.

Also, although it's not common, I also see these lost frames outside of a scan. A scan is just the easiest way to reproduce it. If I leave a tag broadcasting once per second, 2 receivers on the same USB bus, after an hour or so, the same problem happens (and this is only 1 broadcast per second from the PROX tag, received by 2 receivers simultaneously, resulting in each receiver sending 3 USB transfers to the host - 6 USB transfer total), so this is not just limited to high packet rates. I think there's some problem with USB bus contention, especially since both receivers try to send data to the host at EXACTLY the same time.

Terry