Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 09:44:21 +0100
From: Gianluca Anzolin <gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Benson Chow <blc+bluez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-bluetooth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] rfcomm (userland) broken by commit 29cd718b

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 04:01:27PM -0700, Benson Chow wrote:
First off, thanks for the fix to stop rfcomm from taking down the
machine. However, I have noted that blueman and
networkmanager/modemmanager no longer recognize the /dev/rfcomm0
device as a valid dialup device.  This seems to be a
kernel-userspace interface regression as I can boot into 3.6.11 and
it would work just fine.

When I saw this thread, I agree there appears to be some
kernel-userspace changes that broke something, but the recent patch
still did not seem to let modemmanger detect the bluetooth device as
it did pre linux-3.12.

Blueman reports "connection failed: modem manager did not support
the connection" implying there's still some userspace differences
from the old behavior.

I do notice I can run a terminal emulator on /dev/rfcomm0 and able
to run modem AT-commands which means that I can communicate with the
phone through bluetooth, so that part is working.  Plus, tearing up
that connection no longer results in a crash like before linux-3.8.

Any other information I could get from my system to help debug
what's going on here?  Or perhaps modem-manager will need to be
updated to work with the new behavior?

Thanks,
-Benson

Thank you for the report.

Could you try the attached patch on top of the last rfc3.patch and see if it
works?

Regards,
Gianluca

WARNING: All HTML emails get auto deleted.  DO NOT SEND HTML MAIL.
WARNING: Emails with large typo counts/spelling errors will also be deleted.