Re: How to test/debug bluetooth advertising [with hciconfig]?

Dear Andrei,

Thanks for your help.

However, before I delve into this in great detail, I wonder whether
I am about to "re-invent the wheel".  For example, if I wanted to
use "ping" in a shell-script, I wouldn't normally begin by poking
registers in the ethernet card.

Then you should not use "hcitool cmd". Better use high level API.

I'd love to use a high level API. But where can I find it? There doesn't seem to be any documentation, or any example code for Bluetooth Low Energy on Linux.

BTLE documentation only seem to be documented for Windows, iOS, or Android. I'm sorry if I seem to be being dense, but while I can find lots of references to 2007-era bluetooth tutorials, lots of information on how wonderful BTLE is, and a lot of questions on eg stackexchange asking *how* to do this, there doesn't seem to be any starting point for actually doing it.

hciconfig looks to be the natural place to start (it has the commands to enable and disable LE advertising, but appears to have omit the command to set the advertising data itself).

Regards,

Richard